On this date in 1912, the Tioga Gazette notified its readers that a motorized ferry would be installed north of Charlson in McKenzie County as soon as the ice went out.
The boat would accommodate a number of horse teams each trip, and be propelled by a 60-horse-power gasoline engine, and lighted by electricity.
The ferry was currently in Buford, owned by the Victoria Elevator Company, but the Tioga Commercial Club had raised funds for the ferry and to care for the roads in-between, in order to improve travel between “the river and their progressive little city.” The ferry was a necessary addition to the circuit of trade and transportation in that less-settled section of the state.
Dakota Datebook written by Sarah Walker
The Tioga Gazette, February 16, 1912