Length: 10 min.
4, 5, 6, 7, 8
American Grasslands documents the great diversity in one of North America’s most ecologically significant and threatened biomes and highlights the various types of grasslands, from the famed tallgrass prairie to lesser known desert and coastal grasslands. A special program within the series explores conservationists’ efforts to protect the highly fragmented grassland habitats and restore them to their original state by reintroducing fire and native flora and fauna. Highlighting the various types of grasslands and with stunning footage of some of the diverse wildlife that inhabits this biome, American Grasslands will be an important addition to any community or science, history or language arts classroom.
1. North American Grasslands — This program provides an overview of the various grasslands in the continent and examines distinct habitats such as California, desert, and intermountain grasslands.
2. Tallgrass Prairie — The so-called “true prairie,” tallgrass prairie was once the most dramatic North American grassland, reaching up to 12 feet in height. Today this habitat covers only 1% of its former range.
3. Mixed Prairie — A combination of both short and tallgrass prairie, mixed prairie contains more plant species than any other prairie type.
4. Shortgrass Prairie — Grazing by large ungulates such as buffalo and pronghorn and small animals like prairie dogs historically maintained these grasslands.
5. Coastal Grasslands — Many people are surprised to discover that remnant grasslands can be found along the Gulf Coast in Texas and Louisiana and within the Everglades.
6. Grasslands Conservation — Public and private environmental groups are working together to save North America’s relict grasslands and restore them to their original condition through prescribed burning and the reintroduction of native species.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
March 19 – Family Literacy Event, Cannon Ball Elementary, Cannon Ball, ND
March 20-22 – NDMEA, Bismarck, ND
March 21-22 – NDCT Math Conference, Fargo, ND
March 27 – East Regional Library Media Association, Jamestown, ND
April 3 – Family Literacy Event, Plummer, MN
April 3 – Family Literacy Event, Norman County East, Twin Valley, MN
April 3-5 – NDRA, Bismarck, ND
April 10 – 12 NDATL, Bismarck, ND
April 12 – Week of the Young Child, Moorhead Center Mall, Moorhead, MN
April 15 – Family Literacy Event, Wahepton, ND
April 24 – Family Literacy Event, Flasher, ND
April 24 - Family Literacy Event, Horace Mann Elementary, Fargo, ND
May 1 – Family Literacy Event, Park River, ND
May 7 – Family Literacy Event, Standing Rock Elementary School, Fort Yates, ND
May 8 – Family Literacy Event, Burlington, ND
May 28 – Family Literacy Event, Ada, MN