Length: 30 min.
11, 12, Professional Development
World of Art, A: Works in Progress
Each program in this art appreciation series is devoted to a contemporary artist who takes one or more works of art from start to finish. Listening to the artists and observing their working process provides insight into the artworks themselves. The series emphasizes effective visual communication, problem solving, and critical thinking as large, often collaborative, projects are seen through to completion. The series includes painting, photography, sculpture, video, and performance art.
1. Lorna Simpson—Lorna Simpson, photographer, explores the ambiguous terrain connecting words and images in large-scale landscapes silkscreened on felt.
2. Guillermo Gómez-Peña—Guillermo Gómez-Peña, Mexican performance artist, poet, journalist, and activist, calls attention to relations between the U.S. and Mexico.
3. Bill Viola—Bill Viola, video artist, combines video and sound in intriguing ways, as seen in The Greeting, a piece created for the Venice Biennale.
4. Hung Liu—Hung Liu, painter, comments on traditional Chinese society as she paints a series of works on the Last Emperor and his court.
5. Beverly Buchanan—Beverly Buchanan, photographer, sculptor, and painter, focuses on an important symbol of rural Southern culture: the shack.
6. June Wayne—June Wayne, printmaker and painter, reveals her interest in science and scientific discovery as she works on a new print in New York City.
7. Milton Resnick—Milton Resnick, one of the last living members of the New York School of painters, also known as the Abstract Expressionists, creates five large oil paintings over eight months.
8. Judy Baca—Judy Baca, painter and activist known for her mile-long mural in Los Angeles depicting Chicano history, works on two public art projects in Southern California.
9. Goat Island—Goat Island, a performance group that uses visual imagery, music, dance, and narrative, rehearses and performs a new piece on a U.K. tour.
10. Mierle Ukeles—Mierle Ukeles, artist-in-residence at the New York City Department of Sanitation, works on an installation at the Fresh Kills landfill.
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
These programs have been dropped from the Instructional Resources offerings.
Sign up for our monthly e-Newsletter to learn about new programs, classroom resources, and professional development opportunities!
June - Tri-City Technology Conference in Fargo, North Dakota
June 8 - Share a Story event at Rheault Farm from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm
June 14 - Midwest KidsFest at Island Park in Fargo, North Dakota from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
June 25-26 - Prairie Region Teacher Training Institute in Moorhead, Minnesota at Concordia College