Length: 60 min.
11, 12, Professional Development
Signature: Contemporary Writers
See what it’s like to be a writer today through video portraits of six diverse writers, all with roots in the South — Bobbie Ann Mason, Ed McClanahan, Marsha Norman, George C. Wolfe, Lee Smith, and Barbara Kingsolver. The authors read from their own works and talk about their lives, their influences, their successes, and their failures. Students will gain insight into the writing process and learn creative strategies for turning their own experiences into compelling writing.
1. Bobbie Ann Mason—Features her award-winning novels, In Country and Feather Crowns, and presents readings from her story collections, Love Life and Shiloh and Other Stories.
2. Ed McClanahan—Presents the exuberant humor and style of this writer’s work, including his sprawling novel, The Natural Man.
3. Marsha Norman—The work of this playwright ranges from the Pulitzer Prize-winning ‘night, Mother, a gritty urban drama, to the Tony Award-winning musical The Secret Garden.
4. George C. Wolfe—This Tony Award-winning playwright and director recently assumed leadership of the New York Shakespeare Festival/Joseph Papp Public Theater. His Broadway credits include The Colored Museum, Jelly’s Last Jam, and Angels in America.
5. Lee Smith—The novels and short stories of this recipient of eight major writing awards provide insight into the people and culture of Appalachia. Includes analysis of Fair and Tender Ladies and other works.
6. Barbara Kingsolver—Includes analysis of her critically acclaimed novels The Bean Trees, Animal Dreams, and Pigs in Heaven, which reflect her concern for many social and political causes.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
Jan. 26: ND Assoc. of School Administrators, Bismarck.
Feb. 4-6: ND Assoc. of Elementary School Principals, Bismarck.
Feb. 19-22: ND Counseling Assoc., Bismarck.
March 26, 30, 31: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
March 20-21: ND Council of Teachers of Mathematics and ND Science Teachers Assoc., Bismarck.
March 25-28: ND Assoc. of Secondary School Principals, Bismarck.
March 26-28: ND Music Educators Assoc., Bismarck.
April 20, 21, 30: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
April 23-25: NDRA Reading Conference, Minot.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.