Length: 30 min.
Principals: Leaders and Learners
Parents, teachers and administrators will benefit from these stories of several real-life principals and how their involvement and passion for their jobs impact the entire community.
Twelve schools were selected to illustrate these standards in practice with real stories of K-8 school principals, teachers and students at work in the school, the community and in after-school activities.
The recommended audience for these programs includes everyone from administrators, teachers, parents (PTA) and the community.
1. Balance Management and Leadership Roles — Focuses on the need to balance traditional management duties, instructional goals and vision for the future to create an education-centric community for students and adults. Illustrates the need to deal creatively with new educational and technological issues and the value of learner-centered leadership.
2. Set High Expectations and Standards — Focuses on the need to set challenging – yet attainable – goals that reflect the values and commitments of the school community. Examines the importance of developing a school culture that is flexible, innovative and fosters student achievement.
3. Demand Content and Instruction That Ensure Student Achievement — Focuses on the importance of high-quality teachers, a challenging curriculum, and current technology and instructional materials to ensure student achievement of established academic standards. This volume also examines the need to continually test and review these materials through multiple forms of assessment and observation of classroom practices.
4. Create a Culture of Adult Learning —Examines the importance of providing quality, team-based professional development. Highly-qualified teachers adn principals can produce greater leaps in student achievement when schools invest in teacher learning and provide opportunities for teachers to work, plan and think together.
5. Use Multiple Sources of Data as Diagnostic Tools — Examines the importance of collecting and interpreting multiple sources of data to identify barriers to student achievement and teacher performance, spot areas in need of improvement, design effective classroom lessons, re-evaluate school goals and determine opportunities for professional development.
6. Actively Engage the Community — Illustrates the value of shared leadership, decision-making and responsibility for success to encourage community ownership of the school and the school’s goals. This program also emphasizes the importance of parental involvement in the school and the role of the school as a facilitator between families and community services.
7. Principals: Leaders and Learners: Overview of the Six Standards — High-quality schools and high quality teachers require high-quality leadership. This program reviews the six standards set forward in Leading Learning Communities: Standards for What Principals Should Know and Be Able to Do, and illustrates what a school can accomplish in the right educational environment.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
September 17-20 NDLA – Bismarck, ND
September 27 ND Kinder Assoc. – Minot, ND
October 16-17 NDCEL – Bismarck, ND
October 8-10 ND Title I – Bismarck, ND
October 13-14 NDATL – Minot, ND
October 16-17 NDCEL – Bismarck, ND
October 20-22 NETA – Dallas
October 24-25 NDAEYC – Grand Forks, ND
October 27-28 NESC – Devils Lake, ND