Long before they start school, children are ready to learn the skills that will turn them into readers. Watch this PBS series and explore this Web resources to find out how you can launch a child into a bright future with reading strategies that work!
1. Roots of Reading — Visits parents, teachers, and researchers who are using strategies that work. “The Roots of Reading” lays the groundwork for helping kids in the earliest stages of learning to read.
2. Sounds and Symbols — Introduces parents, teachers, and researchers who are using strategies that work in helping kids distinguish letters and sounds. Includes games and activities as well as lessons for use in the special needs classroom.
3. Fluent Reading — Introduces parents, teachers, and researchers who are using strategies that work in helping kids decode quickly and achieve fluency.
4. Writing and Spelling — Introduces parents, teachers, and researchers who are using strategies that work in helping kids learn to write and spell. Includes an introduction to an innovative reading program called RISE: Reading Initiative for Student Excellence.
5. Reading for Meaning — Features parents, teachers, and researchers who are using strategies that work in helping kids get motivated and engaged with the books they read. This program explores the concepts such as Reciprocal Teaching and Theme Scheme.
6. Empowering Parents —Helps families identify the early signs of reading problems and provides advice for navigating the system in order to get kids help. Features host Al Roker.
7. Becoming Bilingual — Takes an up-close look at the challenges of teaching children to read in a new language. Featured host Rita Moreno.
8. Reading and the Brain — Explores how brain scientists are working to solve the puzzle of why some children struggle to read and others don’t. Startling new research shows the answer may lie in how a child’s brain is wired from birth.
9. A Chance to Read — Looks at the reading challenges facing kids with disabilities, and what schools across the country are doing to help them find success. Meet the amazing kids, parents, researchers, and teachers who are working to eliminate the assumption that disabled kids cannot read, giving every child a chance to read.
10. [Special] Reading Rocks! —Is an empowering, upbeat, and totally hip show for kids ages 7-12 years old. It uses wacky humor and stories of hope to encourage struggling readers to keep trying.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
March 19 – Family Literacy Event, Cannon Ball Elementary, Cannon Ball, ND
March 20-22 – NDMEA, Bismarck, ND
March 21-22 – NDCT Math Conference, Fargo, ND
March 27 – East Regional Library Media Association, Jamestown, ND
April 3 – Family Literacy Event, Plummer, MN
April 3 – Family Literacy Event, Norman County East, Twin Valley, MN
April 3-5 – NDRA, Bismarck, ND
April 10 – 12 NDATL, Bismarck, ND
April 12 – Week of the Young Child, Moorhead Center Mall, Moorhead, MN
April 15 – Family Literacy Event, Wahepton, ND
April 24 – Family Literacy Event, Flasher, ND
April 24 - Family Literacy Event, Horace Mann Elementary, Fargo, ND
May 1 – Family Literacy Event, Park River, ND
May 7 – Family Literacy Event, Standing Rock Elementary School, Fort Yates, ND
May 8 – Family Literacy Event, Burlington, ND
May 28 – Family Literacy Event, Ada, MN