Length: 4-12 min.
Kindegarten, 1, 2
Language Arts and Literature
Scholastic ETV Consortium
Scholastic Spanish Series
This series produced by Scholastic Inc. encourages beginning and advanced Spanish students to learn how to tell some of the most classic stories of all time. These timeless classics are based upon renowned award-winning books.
1. Amazing Grace – La Maravillosa Grace — Even though her classmates discourage Grace from trying out for Peter Pan in the school play because she is black and a girl, Grace wins the part and proves that she can be anything she wants to be. Lovely music complements this very special story. (8:35) Study Guide
2. The Caterpillar and the Polliwog – La Oruga Y El Renacuajo — Impressed by the proud caterpillar’s boast that she will turn into a butterfly when she grows up, a polliwog determines to watch the caterpillar very carefully and turn into a butterfly too. (7:27)
3. Charlie Needs a Cloak – Charlie Necesita Una Capa — When Charlie’s old cloak becomes torn and tattered, he spins a new one showing how cloth is made from wool. (7:37) Study Guide
4. Chato’s Kitchen – Chaato Y Su Cena — Chato invites a family of mice to his house to share a tasty meal but to his suprise ends up eating tortillas and not them for dinner! Narrated by Cheech Marin. (11:08) Study Guide
5. Chrysanthemum – Crisantemo — A little mouse thinks her name is absolutely perfect until she starts school and all the kids make fun of her. Narrated by Meryl Streep. (14:17) Study Guide
6. Curious George Rides a Bike – Jorge, El Monito Ciclista — Fans of the ingenious little monkey will not be disappointed as he embarks on a wild series of adventures in a traveling circus. (10:32) Study Guide
7. Danny and the Dinosaur – Danielito Y El Dinosaurio — This is the story of a boy’s friendship with a dinosaur and how they spend one happy day together. (9:17) Study Guide
8. The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash – El Dia En Que La Boa de Jimmy… — Steven Kellogg captures all the fun and excitement when Jimmy brings along his pet boa constrictor on a class trip to the farm. (5:06) Study Guide
9. Doctor De Soto — A hungry fox with a toothache begs a mouse dentist to relieve his pain in this modern-day fable.(10:02) Study Guide
10. The Hat- El Sombrero — In a lively and imaginative romp, a top hat with a mind of its own changes a penniless man’s life. (6:13) Study Guide
11. Here Comes the Cat – Aqui Viene El Gato! — A peaceful settlement of mice is threatened by the ominous shadow of a big cat. (11:01) Study Guide
12. Hot Hippo – El Hipopotamo Tiene Calor — Hippo promises not to eat Ngai’s little fishes in exchange for being allowed to live in the cool water instead of on dry land. (4:59) Study Guide
13. In the Night Kitchen – La Cocina de Noche — Sendak’s classic comic fantasy of Mickey’s adventures in the night kitchen tells us how we get our morning cake. (7:18) Study Guide
14. Joey Runs Away – Joey Se Escapa — Joey looks for another home when he doesn’t feel like cleaning up his messy room. (7:36)
15. Leo the Late Bloomer – Leo, El Retono Tardio — What’s the matter with Leo?” his father asks, when Leo can’t read, write, draw, eat neatly or speak. “He’s just a late bloomer”, explains his mother. And sure enough, one day in his own good time, Leo shows everyone how glorious it is to finally bloom. Narrated by Mary Beth Hurt. (7:40)
16. The Little Red Hen – La Gallinita Roja — An industrious, hardworking hen teaches her friends a thing or two about helping out in this classic story. (7:20) Study Guide
17. Make Way for Ducklings – Los Patitos Encuentran Un Hogar — In this timeless tale of family life, Mr. and Mrs. Mallard find the perfect spot to raise their young in Boston’s Public Garden. (11:27) Study Guide
18. Max’s Christmas – La Navidad de Max — Irrepressible Max wants to stay up late on Christmas so he can see Santa Claus. (4:42) Study Guide
19. Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel – Miguel Muligan Y Su Pala — Big diesel machines threaten Mike Mulligan and his little old steam shovel, Mary Anne, out of business until Mike agrees to tackle a big job. (10:58)
20. Millions of Cats – Millones de Gatos — A gentle old man looking for one cat for his lonely wife returns with “millions and billions and trillions of cats.” (10:47) Study Guide
21. Monty — Monty, a dependable and considerate alligator taxi for three children who need to get to school every day, decides that he needs a vacation when their back-seat driving proves more than he can handle. (7:01) Study Guide
22. Moon Man – El Hombre de La Luna — Rocketing down on a shooting star, Moon Man finds that life on earth isn’t everything he thought it would be. (8:44) Study Guide
23. Most Wonderful Egg in the World – El Huevo Mas Bonito Del Mundo — A king must choose a princess from among three clucking hens, when each one thinks she is the prettiest. (5:02)
24. Musical Max – Max, El Prodigio Musical – When the neighbors start complaining about the noise, Max stops practicing his trombone, bass, xylophone, flute, harmonica, cymbals and synthesizer. A wonderful introduction to music. (9:18) Study Guide
25. Noisy Nora – Nora, La Bulliciosa — With everyone in her house too busy to listen, Nora makes her presence known at every turn. (6:29) Study Guide
26. Owen — When Mrs. Tweezers convinces Owen’s parents that their son is becoming a little too attached to Fuzzy, his beloved yellow blanket, Owen vehemently disagrees. “Can’t bring a blanket to school,” says nosy Mrs. Tweezers. What will Owen’s parents do? (8:59) Study Guide
27. Panama – Que Bonito Es Panama — Simple folk tunes heighten the adventure of this film, as Little Bear and Little Tiger abandon their happy home to search for Panama – “the land of their dreams.” (10:58)
28. Rosie’s Walk – El Paseo De Rosita — Against the strains of a catchy barnyard tune, a single-minded fox stalks an unsuspecting hen. (4:01) Study Guide
29. The Snowy Day – El Dia Nevado — A small boy’s enchantment with a city’s snowfall has him making snow angels and snowballs, sliding down snow mountains – and looking forward to going outside again. (6:20) Study Guide
30. Stone Soup – La Sopa de Piedras — Three clever soldiers devise a plan to get food and lodging from the selfish inhabitants of a French village during the time of Napoleon. (10:52) Study Guide
31. Story About Ping – La Historia Del Patito Ping — A duck suffers the loneliness of abandonment before he is befriended by a little boy who returns him to his family. (10:11)
32. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble – Silvestre Y La Piedrecita Ma — The Duncan family is beside itself when son, Sylvester, turns himself into a rock to escape the jaws of a hungry lion. Magic and suspense, along with wonderful music and animation, bring this classic children’s story to life. (11:17) Study Guide
33. The Three Robbers – Los Tres Bandidos — A little girl named Tiffany sets three robbers straight, turning their gold to good. (5:40) Study Guide
34. Where the Wild Things Are – Donde Viven Los Monstruos — Max is the hero of this beloved children’s classic in which he makes mischief, sails away, tames the wild things and returns home for supper. Video features music and narration by Peter Schickele. (6:15) Study Guide
35. Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears – Por Que Los Mosquitos — Tall tale sets off a chain of mishaps through the jungle grapevine — from Mosquito to Iguana to Python to Rabbit Owl — in this traditional story from Africa. ( 9:33) Study Guide
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Sign up for our monthly e-Newsletter to learn about new programs, classroom resources, and professional development opportunities!
Assignment: The World has been discontinued by the producer and is no longer available for broadcast.
PBS Newshour Extra’s Daily News Story is a great alternative.