Length: 5-25 min.
Kindegarten, 1, 2
Language Arts and Literature
Scholastic ETV Consortium
Scholastic Stories From Around the World: Multicultural Series
Popular stories such as Amazing Grace and Hiawatha take your students into the settings of other cultures. The study guides provide a comprehensive list of complimentary activities to go along with each episode.
1. Amazing Grace — Even though her classmates discourage Grace from trying out for Peter Pan in the school play because she is black and a girl, Grace wins the part and proves that she can be anything she wants to be. Lovely music complements this very special story. (08:25) Study Guide NOT CC
2. Chato’s Kitchen — Chato invites a family of mice to his house to share a tasty meal but to his suprise ends up eating tortillas and not them for dinner! Narrated by Cheech Marin.(11:08) Study Guide NOT CC
3. Cow Who Fell in the Canal — Hendrika, a cow who longs to see the city, gets her wish — and more — when she rides an old raft down one of Holland’s most picturesque canals — to adventure. (07:51) Study Guide NOT CC
4. Flossie and the Fox — Plucky Flossie Finley asks a clever fox to prove that he is a fox before she will be frightened of him on her way to deliver a basket of eggs. (13:38) Study Guide NOT CC
5. Hiawatha — Hiawatha’s boyhood is gracefully brought to life against a background of authentic Native American music in this excerpt from Longfellow’s classic poem, with pictures exquisitely rendered by Susan Jeffers. (10:44) Study Guide NOT CC
6. Hot Hippo — Hippo promises not to eat Ngai’s little fishes in exchange for being allowed to live in the cool water instead of on dry land. (04:58) Study Guide NOT CC
7. Not So Fast Songololo — Malusi, a young South African boy, spends a delightful day shopping in the city with his grandmother, Gogo, in this warm and tender story about love and sharing and “new red tackies.” (10:10) Study Guide NOT CC
8. The Rainbow Serpent — Set in Dreamtime, this Aboriginal legend of the Creation follows the serpent Gorilla on his journey across Australia, where he creates birds, animals, plant life and geographical features. (11:40) NOT CC
9. Rikki Tikki Tavi — A courageous mongoose becomes the loyal pet of a small boy named Teddy, and protects him and his family from two evil cobras who live in their garden. (28:46) Study Guide NOT CC
10. Story About Ping — A duck suffers the loneliness of abandonment before he is befriended by a little boy who returns him to his family. (10:11) CC
11. Suho and the White Horse — This story from the Mongolian steppes tells about a poor shepherd’s friendship, separation and reunion with a beautiful white horse. (10:08) CC
12. Tale of the Mandarin Ducks — An artful storyteller and two skilled painters have combined their talents in this popular Japanese folk tale about greed and cruelty, kindness and love. A selfish lord who covets the magnificent plumage of the drake, separates a pair of mandarin ducks, keeping his new pet in a bamboo cage. A compassionate couple risk their lives to reunite the ducks. (15:36) CC
13. Tikki Tikki Tembo — This folktale explains why Chinese people no longer choose long names for their children. (08:40) CC Study Guide
14. Who’s In Rabbit’s House — Adapted from a Masai folktale about a rabbit who can’t get into her house because the Long One, “who eats trees and tramples on elephants”, is hiding inside. This animated production is presented as a play by Masai actors wearing animal masks. The video and read-along cassette feature traditional African music. (12:24) Study Guide NOT CC
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
September 17-20 NDLA – Bismarck, ND
September 27 ND Kinder Assoc. – Minot, ND
October 16-17 NDCEL – Bismarck, ND
October 8-10 ND Title I – Bismarck, ND
October 13-14 NDATL – Minot, ND
October 16-17 NDCEL – Bismarck, ND
October 20-22 NETA – Dallas
October 24-25 NDAEYC – Grand Forks, ND
October 27-28 NESC – Devils Lake, ND