Length: 30 min.
Mathematics and Technology
Teaching NOW! looks at the relationship between education and technology by exploring the issues, ideas, and strategies of technology integration.
Over 40 Public Broadcasting Stations carry this series funded by the Department of Ed. that focuses on how colleges and universities are preparing tomorrows teachers to use technology by presenting K-12 and postsecondary case studies from across the nation.
1. Handhelds In Omaha – Features Nebraska Technology Teacher of the Year Tony Vincent and his students using Palms in every curriculum area. It’s almost like having a laptop for every student!
2. Priority: Technology & Inclusion – Is part one of a two-part feature on Schaumburg School District #54 in Illinois where state test scores have increased through the use of technology and inclusion.
3. Digital Text -Part 2 of #102 shows how Schaumburg School District #54 Digitized their middle school social studies text thereby enabling teachers to manipulate the material to meet individual students reading levels. By combing this digital text with digital readers they changed the learning atmosphere in their classrooms.
4. A College For Special Need Students – Takes us to Putney, Vermont to the Landmark College campus to see how assistive technologies help struggling college students be academically successful.
5. Microsoft’s Backyard – Features one of the top 10 Microsoft Schools in the nation located in Redmond, Washington. Lake Washington School District is one of the most information rich in the country. The program explores their online report cards and class server system. We see how long range planning led to infrastructure access, professional development for teachers, and community support.
6. Virtual Chem Lab – Takes us to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah where they have developed a virtual chemistry lab. This software is changing the way chemistry is taught at the university and at local high schools.
7. Electronic Portfolios – Visits Purdue University and the University of Washington to see their electronic portfolio systems for education majors. We explore the different uses for these student portfolios and the challenges of implementation.
8. IUP and Deaf Education – Goes to Indiana University of Pennsylvania where they are preparing teachers to work with students who are deaf and hard of hearing. The pre-service teachers use technology for classroom observation, parent education, and portfolios.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
May 14: Family Literacy Event, Westside Elementary, West Fargo.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.