Length: 15 min.
4, 5, 6
Tracks: Impressions of America
Two young adults, Isadora and Duncan, investigate U.S. history as they travel by rail across the country. While learning about historical events, they also discover the relevance of those events to the present day.
1. Trekking Across Our Land — Describes the early migration of people from Asia to North America and introduces Isadora and Duncan, two young people who meet on the train and decide to spend their summer learning about American history.
2. Spain Comes to America — Introduces some of the first European explorers in the Americas and describes their influence on colonization; includes a visit to the early Spanish settlement in St. Augustine, FL.
3. Early European Settlements — Describes the motivations and goals of early English settlers at Jamestown and their interaction with Native Americans.
4. Seeds of Revolution — In Boston, Issy and Duncan learn about the diverse beliefs and independent thinking that laid the groundwork for the American Revolution.
5. Independence — Issy discusses the state of the colonies with the character Ben Franklin in Philadelphia.
6. The New Nation — Focuses on the creation of the Constitution and sketches the three branches of government; includes visits to Monticello and Washington, DC.
7. Westward Ho! — Territorial expansion by European settlers and its effects on Native Americans; a visit to the Cumberland Gap.
8. Divided and United — The causes of the Civil War and its effects on the American people; connects the events of the Civil War with the civil rights movement during a visit to Montgomery, AL.
9. The Urbanization of America — Milwaukee, WI is the place to describe the waves of immigration that changed social patterns and labor relations in the late 19th century.
10. The Road to Mount Rushmore — Explores the development of mining, ranching, agriculture, and the railroads in the American West and the strained relations between settlers and Native Americans.
11. America at War — Discusses America’s reluctance to enter World War I and World War II.
12. Changing Times and Modern Industries — Examines the Cold War and the dangers and promise of the Atomic Age.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
Jan. 26: ND Assoc. of School Administrators, Bismarck.
Feb. 4-6: ND Assoc. of Elementary School Principals, Bismarck.
Feb. 19-22: ND Counseling Assoc., Bismarck.
March 26, 30, 31: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
March 20-21: ND Council of Teachers of Mathematics and ND Science Teachers Assoc., Bismarck.
March 25-28: ND Assoc. of Secondary School Principals, Bismarck.
March 26-28: ND Music Educators Assoc., Bismarck.
April 20, 21, 30: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
April 23-25: NDRA Reading Conference, Minot.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.