Sunday, December 5, 2010
The little town of Sanish sprang to life in 1916. Like its sister cities of Van Hook and Independence, it provided services to the rural population on the fertile Missouri River plains. But this location and the need for irrigation sealed the fate of the little community. Unlike many towns along the river, it was never severely threatened by the flooding, but with the damming of the river, it was sacrificed. Garrison Dam was completed in 1953 and the official government of Sanish came to an end at one minute past midnight on April 29, 1953. The buildings were removed or burned. Only the foundations remained. It was announced on this date that the job was all but finished. Three weeks before Christmas in 1954, Sanish ceased to exist, the victim of a tamed Missouri.
Dakota Datebook written by Jim Davis
The New Town News December 9, 1954
McLean County Heritage: McLean County, North Dakota 1978