Saturday, November 24, 2012
In the general election of November of 1916, Morton County was divided, and two new counties were created – Sioux and Grant. On this date of that year, a group of civic leaders from the village of Leith were in Bismarck, attempting to gain support for Leith as the new county seat.
Boosters for the town claimed Leith was in the exact center of the county, so farmers could to come to town and return home the same day. It was located on the Chicago and Milwaukee Railroad. It had a newspaper, was typically American, had good, hustling businessmen, and had just completed a new Knights of Pythias Hall, which could house the county offices. Unfortunately, their efforts were to no avail and the village of Carson won the honors.
Dakota Datebook written by Jim Davis
The Bismarck Weekly Tribune November 24, 1916