Dakota Datebook

Motorized Ferry

Saturday, February 16, 2013



On this date in 1912, the Tioga Gazette notified its readers that a motorized ferry would be installed north of Charlson in McKenzie County as soon as the ice went out.

The boat would accommodate a number of horse teams each trip, and be propelled by a 60-horse-power gasoline engine, and lighted by electricity.

The ferry was currently in Buford, owned by the Victoria Elevator Company, but the Tioga Commercial Club had raised funds for the ferry and to care for the roads in-between, in order to improve travel between “the river and their progressive little city.” The ferry was a necessary addition to the circuit of trade and transportation in that less-settled section of the state.

Dakota Datebook written by Sarah Walker


The Tioga Gazette, February 16, 1912


This text and audio may not be copied without securing prior permission from Prairie Public.

Dakota Datebook is a project of Prairie Public, in partnership with the State Historical Society of North Dakota, with funding from the North Dakota Humanities Council.

« Go Back

Award-winning radio, television, and public media services that educate, involve, and inspire the people of the prairie region.

Donate Now

Breaking News

Follow Us On Social Media