Tax Incentives for North Dakotans

who make contributions to qualified endowment funds of North Dakota nonprofits

Your gift to Prairie Public Broadcasting’s qualified endowment fund will keep public media strong for future generations.

Thanks to the North Dakota legislature, you can make a contribution of $5,000 and its real cost to you is only $1,600 (figuring a 40% state tax credit and a 28% federal tax bracket).

For individuals, North Dakota law allows a 40% state tax credit for contributions to qualified endowments of nonprofits. The contribution must be $5,000 or greater, and the maximum credit is $10,000 per year per taxpayer, or $20,000 per year per couple filing jointly.

For businesses, including financial institutions, it offers a 40% state tax credit for contributions to the endowments of nonprofits. The maximum credit per year is $10,000.

For your gift of $25,000 or more to Prairie Public’s qualified endowment fund, you may choose to designate the interest from your gift to help sustain a particular area of interest; for example, news and public affairs; arts, culture, music, and drama; science and nature; education and children’s programs; outreach and community engagement; facilities and equipment.

Your endowment gift will allow Prairie Public to look to the future with increased confidence as we continue to fulfill our vital mission of providing programs that educate, involve, and inspire.


North Dakota Tax Credit

Gift Amount $5,0001 $10,000 $25,000  $50,000
Federal Tax Savings2 -$1,400 -$2,800 -$7,000 -$14,000
ND Tax Credit Amount -$2,000 -$4,000 -$10,0003 -$20,0004
Net Cost of Contribution $1,600 $3,200 $8,000 $16,000

1$5,000 is minimum gift amount.

2Assumes donor is in 28% federal tax bracket.

3$10,000 maximum credit per individual.

4$20,000 maximum credit per couple, if filing jointly.

For more information or to make a contribution, please contact:

Ann Clark
Director of Development
Prairie Public Broadcasting, Inc.
207 N. 5th Street
Fargo, ND 58102
800-359-6900, ext. 510

This information is not provided as legal or tax advice. Please consult your attorney or financial advisor for advice on your situation.