As schools across the country are closing due to the Coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, PBS and Prairie Public are here to help parents and educators think about how we can extend learning outside the walls of classrooms and into our homes. See our resources below or you can download this resource sheet with the full links.
PBS LearningMedia is a free resource for PreK-12 educators that supports distance learning.
Educators, please consider using PBS LearningMedia as you are developing your plans for learning at home. Collections contain lesson plans and supplemental materials for grades PreK - 12, all aligned to state and national standards, and easily searchable by grade level, subject matter, standards, and key content words. Many lesson plans and supplemental resources can be printed, and completed by watching program episodes on television, or videos online. The resources can also be easily integrated with digital classroom management systems.
Wondering where to start...?
PreK - 12 Resources for Emergency Closings This is a great place to start if you need lesson plans immediately. You can curate and build on these for your students, as you know their needs best.
Need help learning how to use PBS Learning Media?
This previously recorded one-hour webinar, hosted by PBS master trainers and educators, highlights a variety of tips, from student activities to digital tools and PBS LearningMedia hacks. Featuring insights applicable to elementary, middle and high-school classrooms, the session focuses on skills, tips, and techniques you can apply to prepare for successful distance learning, whether you’re working with your students in person or sharing lessons online.
Some of the tools covered include:
- Google Classroom Integration Sync class rosters and assignments with Google Classroom. Easily create shareable folders of resources with students or colleagues.
- Understanding Advanced Search and Browse Features to find the perfect resources to enhance distance learning lessons.
- Remind Integration Does your school use Remind? Learn how to integrate PBS LearningMedia resources.
- PBS LearningMedia Virus Information & Prevention Collection Information specifically related to understanding the virus and healthy habits.
- PBS LearningMedia Go directly to the home page with this link.
Many of our popular PreK - 12 grade level television and digital programs include PBS LearningMedia Collections and lesson plan resources. See our “How to Watch” page for local channels, then check our television schedule or your local listings for programs and episodes. You can also view content using the PBS Video App.
Prairie Public & PBS Kids 24/7 Channels for Grades Pre-K - 3
For young viewers, also see the links listed in the Parents and Kids section below. To better understand how our content is aligned academically, see these resources:
- Prairie Public Channel Spring Lineup- Scroll down to view now for April, May 2020
- PBS Kids Program Learning Goals - Programs arranged by content area
- PBS Kids Apps Learning Goals - Learning Apps arranged by content area
Prairie Public Channel + links to PBS Learning Media Resources for Grades PreK - 13+
- Prairie Public Spreadsheet - Comprehensive sheet of program titles, age/grade levels, subject areas + url links to PBS LearningMedia Collections and additional website resources for each program.
WORLD Channel + links to PBS Learning Media Resources for Grades 3 - 13+
- The PBS KIDS 24/7 channel offers anytime access to trusted educational series for kids ages 2-8. See our “How to Watch” page and check your local listings for PBS Kids shows on television. Prairie Public’s digital live stream is viewable 24/7.
- The PBS KIDS Video app is available on mobile, tablet, and connected TV devices and offers on-demand educational videos and a livestream of the PBS KIDS 24/7 channel. No subscription is required.
- The PBS KIDS Games app offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.
- PBS Kids is a great resource for educational games for all ages.
- PBS KIDS for Parents offer this great resource: How to talk to your kids about coronavirus.
- Introducing the PBS Kids Daily Newsletter for parents, which offers content that includes special episodes of your children’s favorite shows, activities, and tips you can use to play and learn at home with your child.
- PBS KIDS for Parents offers information, activities, and tips for parents.
- PBS Kids Family NightThis is agreat resource for family viewings and activities.
- Sesame Street has also launched a Caring for Each Other page to support parents and families.